Experience “The Plan”!
The Plan is a book & website to follow for you to find the best & healthiest anti-inflammatory eating for your body.
I recommend everyone set aside the time to read and do The Plan. You will find what foods work for and against your body, while taking a cooking class on a very tasty low salt Mediterranean diet! And across traditional and functional medicine, the Mediterranean diet is proven the healthiest so you can feel and Age Well to Excell (watch for our new program on www.excellforlife.com)!
My goals for The Plan were to see what foods may be causing inflammation in my body and to be able to eat more (since age 45 to maintain my healthy weight, I eat half as much as I did then, along with being strictly gluten-free, doing almost daily exercise, and practicing intermittent fasting). The Plan has accomplished my goals and much more.
After following The Plan for 20 days I now know….
- how to make sure I am getting enough protein, fiber, & veggies in my meals each day
- how to be more vegetarian – it is better for your overall health and the world
- how you can detox, eat great healthy food and lose 5-6 pounds in a week!
- how extra virgin olive oil makes about everything better (and that we all should get 3 – 5 tablespoons in our diet daily)
- how to cook & eat a low salt Mediterranean diet, with 4-5 cups of vegetables (and fruits) per day and enjoying many new vegetables
- a great many more tasty healthy recipes for breakfast, lunch, snacks & dinner to add to my weekly repertoire
- many excellent cheeses made from goat (cheddar, herbed, wrapped w blueberries, gouda) and sheep milk (Manchego, true feta)
- which foods and food combinations are overall more inflammatory and how to easily test foods
- foods which made my tongue have more mucus and tingling (due to the inflammation from the foods)
- foods that give me more & smellier gas and stools!
- how nice it is to spend more time chewing foods at my meals, giving more social time with my husband and others
- how I can have plenty to eat with some dark chocolate and a glass of wine at dinner and still lose weight!
- that packing lunch for my husband is really appreciated AND makes him feel better health-wise!
- that learning how to cook & eat Mediterranean is also helping my grown children to learn too (and pictures of my food are making them jealous! 😊)
My husband Bruce went along with me to see how he would feel on The Plan and to see if he would lose a few pounds and a little off his waistline. He found The Plan….
- helped him lose 6 pounds in a week even while eating 3 meals & a snack daily, and the last half of the week having a glass of wine at dinner with some dark chocolate
- made him less bloated and did shrink his waistline
- gave him bulky normal stools (and no rectal itching) for the 1st time that he can remember
- eliminated his heartburn
- enabled him to stop Rx metformin (was for mild insulin resistance)
I have not lost more weight after the first week because I continue to test foods, and weight loss was not one of my goals. I did interrupt The Plan for my birthday weekend (after 10 days) and a week-long cruise (after finishing 20 days).
During my 3 day birthday weekend (with my husband & children by Lake Michigan in Michigan City), I ate what I normally would there and gained back 3-4 pounds. I now know next time I go there, I will only plan I meal out or 1 meal different per day. Then at other meals I will have something I have found is low inflammatory for me. This should mostly keep off weight gain and more importantly inflammation. And for example while eating out… I can ask for egg whites rather than the whole egg in an omelet; just have olive oil for salad dressing, and bring my own extra protein (pumpkin, chia, or sunflower seeds), or bring my own bread or cracker (I don’t react to rye crackers).
Bruce and I went on a 7 day music cruise in the Caribbean, and I easily packed pumpkin, chia, & sunflower seeds, slivered almonds, no salt potato chips (the Kettle brand at Kroger are outstanding!), & dried cranberries and blueberries. Then I could have these as snacks or bring to my meals to add protein to my salads. I also kept up The Plan recommendations of having good servings of raw and cooked vegetables with every meal (in summer you could just have raw). After 7 days, I only gained 2.5 pounds (weight 133.2) which was mostly because I had about 2 drinks/day (wine or margaritas). I restarted my known low inflammatory eating and the next day my weight was 131.3. Then I did a fast lunch to lunch and next day my weight was 129.1
The only drawback of The Plan is the extra time it takes. However please remember, it really is your individual cooking class to teach & create your own best low salt Mediterranean diet with many new testy healthy recipes! So of course the extra time is well worth it. The first week I spent about 6 extra hours, making sure I had the needed ingredients for the recipes, grocery shopping (you can save extra $ by just purchasing the dirty dozen and meats organic/free-range), and cooking new recipes ahead for the week. Since the first week, cooking and eating this way takes me about 2 hours extra per week, because I am cooking more, eating out less (saving that money), and eating so much healthier. I have made a list to remind myself of our favorite breakfasts, snack, lunches & dinners. I save time by cooking ahead to have leftovers and packing maybe 2 days of salads at a time (so 8 bowls of salads for my & my husband’s lunches and dinners).