The Plant Paradox Program Rules:
Purchase the book: Plant Paradox by Dr. Gundry for more details and most importantly recipes you will need the kitchen tools listed for.
- What you remove from your diet has a far bigger impact on your health than what you add to it. (Remove the foods that attack your gut wall & good gut buddies, and your health will flourish. Hippocrates said “all disease begins in the gut”.)
- Take care of your gut buddies & they will take care of you, your health, immune system and brain! (The typical American has an all out war on their microbiome, with antibiotics, antacids, non-steroidal drugs, pesticide-laden foods, and high sugar/low fiber foods.)
- Fruit might as well be candy (one fruit you can eat every day is ripe avocados and green bananas are a great grain substitute in pancakes and baked goods)
- You are what you eat.
Plant Paradox Phases
- Phase 1: Three day kick-start cleanse: basically you eat nothing but organic vegetables from the “yes, please” list, avocado, healthy fats & approved nuts (just for this phase avoid olive & coconut oil), and small amount of wild-caught fish or pastured chicken (and can add gentle laxative herbal Swiss Kriss which has senna)
- Phase 2: Repair & restore for 6 weeks: You are basically retraining your eating habits so you create a healthy digestive environment that continues to nurture your gut buddies and doesn’t let the bad guys come roaring back. Continue to avoid everything on the “no, thank you” list, steer clear of all fruit except avocado, avoid cow’s milk dairy, omit beans & tofu, and limit consumption of olive oil & coconut oil for the 1st 2 weeks (then can add the oils into your normal rotation), and add good fish oil capsule like Orthomega fish oil & Vitamin D 5000 iu/day.
- Phase 3: Reap the rewards! Like great energy, weight loss, no joint pains, clear thinking, better sleep & skin and more! Remember to keep your fruit intake to a very moderate amount and only in-season fruits (except green bananas-papayas-mangos), and remove the peels and seeds.
Plant Paradox Program for Life: A New
Concentrate on approved healthy fats (like avocados & extra-virgin olive, sesame, walnut, avocado, & coconut oils) and green leafy vegetables (romaine red & green leaf lettuce, kohlrabi, mesclun baby greens, spinach, endive, butter lettuce, parsley, fennel, seaweed/sea vegetable, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, bok choy, cabbage, asparagus, and radishes) as they are the backbone of health! And intermittent fasting is on the 2nd pillar of the pyramid! “When you let this new pyramid be your guide, you have a simple graphic representation of a paradigm for healthy living.”
The Plant Paradox Kitchen
Pantry Staples: Almond butter (prefer organic raw nuts, but make sure no added oils or sugar)… Almond flour… Almond milk… Arrowroot flour (an herb & a great thickener instead of cornstarch… Avocado (to ripen more quickly put next to green bananas, or in a pinch can put in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes to soften, & once ripe can store in frig for 1-2 days, and then can puree them & put in freezer)… Avocado mayonnaise (by Primal Kitchen or Chosen Foods at Costco)… Avocado oil… Aluminum free Baking powder … Basmati rice… Cassava flour (full of resistant starch & key to fluffy gluten-free baked goods)… Cauliflower rice (find in freezer sections)… Cayenne pepper… Chocolate 72% or more cccoa (Dagoba or Lilly’s chocolate chips)… Cocoa powder nonalkalized (like Dagoba or Scharffen)… Coconut aminos (delicious alternative for soy or tamari)… Coconut cream (in cans but avoid BPA-lined cans or those with added sugar, and can buy coconut milk the refrigerate overnight & scoop off cream)… Coconut flour… Cocont milk… Coconut oil extra-virgin… Eggs (pastured or omega-3)… Erythritol (Swerve) & Xylitol… Flaxseed meal (store in frig to keep fresh)… Ghee (clarified butter, try from grass fed cows – brands Pure and Pure Indian Foods)… Goat’s milk-cheese-yogurt… Hemp milk… Hemp protein powder (has all essential amino acids and plenty of omega-3s)… Hemp tofu.. Honey (raw local, and less than 1 teaspoon/day)… Inulin (brand Just Like Sugar & useful in baking)… Millet (hull-less & lectin free!)… Miracle Rice (in refrig section near tofu & made from kinjac root)… Mozzarella (ball shapes made from water buffalo, or goat’s milk mozzarella from Whole Foods, NOT shredded as likely from cow’s milk)… Nori (seaweed product for wraps)… Nutritional yeast (adds savory cheesy taste to whatever you sprinkle it on)… Extra virgin Olive oil (good ones should be noticeably green, have a fresh grassy smell and opaque bottle)… Paprika… Parmigiano-Reggiano (real deal Parmesan cheese made form Italina cows, can cost $20/lb)… Pecorino-Romano (Tuscan grating cheese made from sheep’s milk)… Perilla oil (look for in Asian markets, can use interchangeably with coconut & olive oil)… Quorn products (in freezer sectionof supermarkets, meat substitute from mushroom roots, similar in taste & texture to chicken, stick to tenders, cutlets, & ground versions, and isn’t vegan as has a little egg white protein in them)… iodized Sea salt… Sorghum… Stevia (he prefers Sweet Leaf brand since no fillers)… Tempeh (fermented soy in frig section next to tofu, a protein source for vegetarians)… Vanilla extract (make sure says pure, and little of this or few drops of Stevia can be great sweetener in yogurt or milks)… VeganEgg (made from algal flour, nutritional yeast, & other plant sources)… Yogurt (unsweetened form goat, sheep, hemp, or coconut milk)
Kitchen Tools: Blender (Vitamix is great)… Food processor… Knives… Magic Bullet… Microwave… Mixing bowls… Pressure cooker (Instant Pot)… Salad spinner (terrific to rinse & dry greens properly!!!)… Skillets (with ceramic coating or high quality stainless steel, & resist temptation to use one with non-stick coating as they have endocrine-disrupting chemicals that get released into your foods)… Spiralizer… Vegetable peelers