Hand Foot Mouth & Back to School Concerns
The indystar posted a great article about hand foot mouth this past week. There have been more cases of Hand Foot Mouth seen recently in Indiana, so it’s important to remind you of what it is and how to protect your family.
Hand Foot Mouth is a virus common in children during warmer months (late spring, summer and early fall). It can spread throughout a school or day care much like the common cold.
SYMPTOMS OF HAND FOOT MOUTH:
- Loss of appetite
- Sore throat
- Generally feeling unwell
- And most commonly small sores either on the palms of hands, bottom of feet, inside and around the mouth
BACK TO SCHOOL REMINDERS FOR YOUR LITTLE ONES:
- Wash your hands
- Do not sharing food/drinks
- Check in with your health care provider at the first signs of illness
- And please keep kids home who have this illness, even if they “act like they feel fine” (Ask your child’s teacher how long they request children be out of school after their diagnosis.)
SUPPLEMENTS RECOMMENDED FOR PATIENTS WITH HAND FOOT MOUTH
Ask your healthcare provider which amount of these supplements are right for your child.
SBI Protect Powder (which is dairy free and has IgG antibodies that need to be replenished in patients with a viral disease like HFM. )
We recommend 1/4 – 1/2 scoop of SBI Protect twice daily for children under 10.
Homemade antibacterial hand cream can be made easily with immune boosting essential oils.
HAND FOOT MOUTH HAND CREAM RECIPE:
- 5 Drops of Thieves Oil – which is usually a blend of 4 to 5 immune boosting essential oils
- 3 Drops of Frankincense Oil – which has amazing antimicrobial properties
- 3 Drops of Lemon Oil – a great antiviral and antibacterial oil
- 3 Drops of Lavender – has great antibacterial properties and so good for the skin
- 1 Tablespoon of Organic Coconut Oil.
Mix all these into a clean 4 oz jar with a lid. Apply to the skin as needed.
The Purposeful Mom blog: recommends Rocky Mountain’s Immune Strength blend of oils which is similar to thieves. It contains cinnamon, clove, eucalyptus, lemon and rosemary mixed with FCO (fractionated coconut oil, which dries quickly and doesn’t leave stains on clothes).
Always see a healthcare provider if you believe you or a loved one has contracted Hand Foot Mouth.