Dr. Lisa’s Quick Answers for… What’s on Your Plate? What About Fat-Protein-Carbs? What Calories to Maintain & Lose Wieght?
1/2 plate – fill with non-starchy vegetables and fruits (such as broccoli, spinach, peppers, cauliflower, onion, berries, tomatoes, oranges, apples)
1/4 plate – lean meat (especially range free chicken, turkey, fish) and beans
1/4 plate – starchy vegetables (yams much better than white potatoes) or whole grain pasta & rice or beans
- most sources recommend at least 25-30 grams fiber daily (BEANS are a great food with good fiber, protein, and essential fatty acids), and the overall food composition to be 20% protein, 30% fat, and 50% carbohydrate
Remember always daily to drink at least 1/2 of your weight in ounces of plain WATER daily for your best health and weight! Dr. Lisa drinks 30 ounces of filtered water with each meal, and most of it before the meal to decrease my appetite! (You can quickly drink water without ice.)
Understanding Fat – a great source of energy and fuel (9 calories/gram), essential fatty acids, and keeps our skin soft and delivers fat soluble vitamins
- polyunsaturated fats – mostly vegetable oils, and lots of omega 3 fatty acids in flaxseed and walnuts
- monounsaturated fats – olive oil, many seeds and nuts
Bad Fats – cause increased cholesterol, heart disease, and even colon and prostate cancer, so avoid these!
- saturated fats (want less than 7% of total fat) – natural fat from animal products (meat, lard, butter), coconut & palm & kernel oil
- trans fats (even worse than saturated fats)- natural ones (from high fat dairy and meats) and artificial ones ( used commonly in frying, baked goods, cookies, icing, crackers, snack foods, microwave popcorn)
- important nutrients that your body needs for giving the glucose (sugar) your body and brain need
- are turned into sugar in your body, and are 4 calories/gram
- are in most foods you eat (not in plain meat or oil)
- women should eat about 30-45 cabs each meal, and men about 45-60
- one carb serving is counted as 15 carbs (examples are 1 slice of bread, 1/4 bagel, 1/3 cup pasta or rice, 1/2 cup cereal, 1/2 cup mashed potatoes, 1/2 bun, 1/2 cup corn, 1/3 cup beans, 1 small apple, 1/2 banana, 17 grapes, 3/4 cup blueberries, 1 1/4 cup strawberries, 3 cups popcorn, 15-17 chips, 2 inch unfrosted brownie, 1/2 cup soda, 1 cup sports drink, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 small frosted cupcake)
Recommended Calorie Intake
- Men, active women – 15 calories/pound
- Most women, sedentary men, and adults over age 55 – 13 cal/pound
- Sedentary women, obese adults – 10 cal/pound
- Pregnant, lactating women – 15-17 cal/pound
- To lose 1-2 pounds per week (a safe weight loss), subtract 500-1000 calories per day from the total number of calories needed to maintain weight (or usually will be 6-8 calories/pound per day to achieve a 1-2 pound/week weight loss)
by Dr. Lisa to educate, motivate, and Excell your life!
My blessings, prayers, and hugs to all of you so very special and loved children of God!