Excell for Life Family Care & Pediatrics
1329 W. 96th St. Indianapolis, IN 317-660-0888
Holistic & functional medicine looks for and treats root causes based upon your unique needs – to optimize your nutrition, balance your hormones, decrease inflammation, improve your digestion, enhance your detoxification defense, calm your mind, and increase your energy.
At Excell we know that at every age you can become stronger physically, nutritionally, and emotionally! Become an Excell for Life eMember. www.excellforlife.com... Our Philosophy – Serving others as we would like to be served!
The most powerful tool you have to change your body, brain, and health is your fork! Food is the quickest and most powerful medicine you can take to heal & change your life – it is not just calories, but information that talks to our genes and cells.“You see, the real cause of the epidemics of mental and physical illness in this country is our SAD diet – the Standard American Diet – which is nutrient deficient and packed with chemicals that poison our bodies. There is no such thing as junk food – there is just food, and then there is junk! ” by Dr. Mark Hyman, “UltraMind Solution”
Eat real whole food as it comes from the earth (unprocessed, local when available): fresh vegetables, fruits, beans, whole grains, nuts, seeds, herbs, spices, & lean animal protein (like fish, chicken, eggs).
Vegetables(rich in vitamins, fiber, and low in fat) - Eat a wide variety and plan at least FIVE servings/day (with rare potatoes & corn). You CAN plan & do it! These will cut your cancer risk in half, and decrease your body inflammation.
Fruits (rich in vitamins, fiber, and low in fat) - Eat 2-3 servings a day and plan this as your dessert.
Legumes/beans (rich in protein, fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, minerals, and low in fat)- beans, lentils (seeds from pods, like chickpeas), and peas - eat 2-3 servings/day
Protein (meats & dairy, nuts & seeds that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids)- 3 palm sized portions/day -eat organic grass fed, antibiotic-hormone-&pesticide-range free animal products!
Whole-Grains (rich in fiber, vitamins, some protein, & low in fat) - brown rice, oats, quinoa, amaranth, millet, buckwheat are the best (gluten in wheat, rye, and barley can cause and worsen many problems in many people) - Plan, experiment & eat at a wide variety and 3 servings/day. Do not eat refined - this takes all good vitamins & minerals out!!
AVOID: sugars in any form and white flours…… bad fats (trans or hydrogenated fats or fat substitutes, most packaged baked goods, and fried foods)…… food additives and chemicals…… toxin rich foods (non-organic meats, large predatory fish/river/farm fish, and non-organic fruits & veggies with the highest toxin load= peaches,apples,bell peppers,celery,nectarines,strawberries,cherries,lettuce,grapes,pears)…… addictions (sodas, alcohol, coffee, caffeinated teas)…… any food allergies (a leaky gut and food allergies can cause almost any mood and physical symptom – the top allergens are gluten/wheat, dairy, eggs, yeast products, corn, peanuts, soy, citrus fruits, and nightshades like tomatoes/peppers)
You & your family can do it! BUT don't plan to do it overnight. Set realistic goals and involve the whole family to learn, plan, educate (esp read labels & be wise consumers) and accomplish! Start with water and maybe 3 healthy meals a week, then gradually work up to 90% of the time. Healthy snacks can be a handful of nuts & seeds like walnuts and pumpkin seeds, fresh fruit & nuts/seeds, fruits smoothie with ground flaxseed, veggies & humus, boiled egg & wheat graham crackers, cashew/nut butters, guacamole with walnuts, walnut flax bar, and save 1/2 of your lunch sandwich for a snack w veggies... Better Butter = 1lb organic butter whipped with 1 cup good oil, refrigerate.
Get Help: be an eMember of Excell (keep learning with our blogs and classes), and see great nutritionist Jodi Smith, www.plateology.com, email@example.com
M - More fruits-vegetables-beans. (No one is overweight from eating these.) O - Organize healthy snacks with fiber and protein (always byo snacks)! R - Ramp up fiber - get over 25 grams/day. E-Exercise daily- improves mood & stress, and becomes a habit (be your dog's best friend, keep a record, get an exercise buddy, use a pedometer, cross train). Do different exercises regularly for whole body and brain health.
Maintain your best weight:This helps your blood pressure, cholesterol, mood, endurance, joints, asthma, heart attack and stroke and diabetes and cancer prevention and more! Successful Losers - 78% eat breakfast every day, 75% weight themselves once a week, 62% watch less than 10 hours of TV per week, 90% exercise at least 30-60 minutes per day!
***To lose 1#/week: eat 7-8 calories/# body weight/day (so a 200# person should eat 1500-1600/day)*** great Apps are LoseIt and MyFitnessPal, online sparkpeople.com or CalorieKing.com…
Water (plain filtered & avoid plastic!)
- Drink 1/2 or your body weight in ounces every day, and extra after exercise (& avoid plastic bottles-they exude estrogens)
- No other liquid is particularly good for you except green tea (and this only in addition to the water above)
- This clears your body of toxins, and helps significantly with arthritis and muscle pain and cramps, fatigue, allergies and asthma, sleep, kidney stone and bladder infections, cancer prevention, and much more!
Exercise helps stress, immunity, weight, energy, sleep, blood pressure, bones, constipation, heart &brain health, decreases risks of cancer & dementia, improves mood & neurotransmitters, blood sugar & insulin, endurance & more!!!
- at a minimum 30 minutes aerobic (sweating) exercise 5 days/week
- weight training 30 minutes twice/week
- Make sure to plan at least this much in each week & prioritize it like a shower, & no TV until you exercise!
These are VITAL for you & your children’s health and “fertilizers for your body and brain! Our food contains much less nutrients (even worse in the SAD diet), and we have low sun exposure (most everyone in Indiana is vitamin D deficient)! Remember by putting out your week's worth of vitamins each Sunday, and take them with a meal. Check out the products we sell because they are from excellent companies which test for efficacy, are much better absorbed than those you can buy in the drugstore, and we continually research them. Our vitamins will significantly help your energy, metabolism , health, and much more! Become an eMember to get an extra 5% off all your vitamin purchases, and continue your learning with our blogs and classes.
- Vitamin D3 for everyone – most people need Vitamin D3 5000iu/day (and best to check by blood test – want level over 50) Take this for your bones, brain, immune system, cancer prevention, hormones, anti-inflammatory, and more.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acid (best from fish oil or krill, and flaxseed doesn't have as good of EPA/DHA split) for everyone - 700-1000mg/day of EPA/DHA (and up to 4000mg for high cholesterol/triglycerides). This decreases inflammation and helps to protect against heart attack, stroke, and heart failure, decreases inflammation, and helps brain and joint functions.
- Quality Multivitamin - our Alphabase from Orthomolecular or Basic Nutrients by Thorne - for everyone! A quality well absorbed multivitamin helps give a boost to all vitamins and minerals, and our Alphabase or Basic Nutrients will help your energy significantly, 2-4 capsules once or twice daily. Take with iron if you have iron deficiency or heavy periods. Thorne Prenatal if pregnant or attempting pregnancy.
- Probiotics (Our Orthobiotic or Ultraflora Plus – do not need to be refrigerated, and have 15 – 20billion/capsule with multiple organisms) = good bacteria to bring back balance & healing to all our toxin exposures & decrease inflammation. These help greatly with many GI system ailments, allergies/food sensitivities, yeast infections, and also improves our immune function, cardiovascular protection, diverticulosis and more. Take daily or at least every other day for great health. Alternate with our two great probiotics.
- Calcium especially for all girls, women, smokers (400-600mg/day). A well absorbed common calcium is Citracal w D (calcium citrate) or our CalApatite Supplement with MCHC is even better for bone building.
- Magnesium is vital for many body functions (and helps as natural muscle relaxant and BP lowering) 400-600mg/day.
- Others… Vitamin C (1000mg, and doses up to 5000mg/day for short periods) can be added during colds, allergies, and as an antioxidant. Zinc can help the immune system and men as they age with their testosterone. Iodine can help with thyroid and metabolism. B complex (our OrthoB complex 1/d, Bio3BGs 1-2 twice a day, SL vitB12 daily, CorticoB5B6, CardioB, or our Vesselcare twice daily)can help with energy, cardiovascular protection, and nerve irritation. Aspirin low dose for cardiovascular protection. Deeper Greens powder (1scoop=5servings veggies&fruits) & our excellent meal replacements like LifeCore Complete
Children (at least every am during school week & set them out for the week on Sunday): Around age 1-2 is good to start supplements - Multivitamin (our Excell chewable mvi are very good), Chew or liquid Fish Oil (Nordic Natural Cod Liver Oil Lemon tastes like olive oil-1tsp/d), Vitamin D especially in winter (our Tasteburst 1000iu Vitamin D chew or Vit D drops), & Probiotic (can sprinkle 1/4-1/2 of our Ultraflora or Orthobiotic capsule on food daily). Once they become preteen/teens and can swallow pills, then they should take 2/day of our Alphabase, and a Fish Oil (our Ortho-omega or Nordic Natural) and Vitamin D 1-5000 and Probiotic (Orthobiotic or Ultraflora).
How to pick vitamins/minerals: The vitamin industry has few standards for quality, and the cheaper the vitamin, the poorer the quality (and even some not so cheap vitamins are poor quality). Be wary of common false marketing ploys saying they are "all natural". Here are keys to determine if a multivitamin is of higher quality. Look on the ingredient label for the Vitamin E (as d- or dl- Alpha-tocopheryl). If you had "dl" instead of "d", then you have a synthetic Vitamin E which is not as well utilized by or healthy for your body. If they skimp on this important vitamin, then they care more about their bottom line than your health! Another quality gauge is how the minerals like zinc, iron, magnesium, and calcium are supplemented/chelated to be absorbed. If your multi uses picolinate or citrate this is good (listed as calcium citrate, zinc picolinate, etc.). Cheaper forms will list them as elemental or use gluconate or oxide as a chelator, and these are NOT well absorbed. If your vitamin passes these tests, then it is probably a decent supplement. Other ingredients that should not be included in your vitamin are things like colorings, yeast, starch, flavorings, or preservatives. I suggest you buy most of your supplements from a professional like us or a good health food store.
CANCER PREVENTION: Eat whole unprocessed organic food & avoid sugar, take the above daily supplements (good MVI, vitamin D, fish oil, probiotics), aerobic exercise 30 minutes daily, drink half your body weight in ounces of water/day, relax and manage stress, sleep at least 8 hours daily, live clean & green (avoid plastics, limit exposure to chemicals and metals, get your fluids moving with 1-2 bowel movements/day - sweating daily exercise – baths/saunas)
Women & Children-- Yearly physicals (Paps starting age 21 for girls), Mammograms every 1-2 years after 40 & every year after 50, Colonoscopy age 50 & then every 10 years, Tetanus/pertussis booster every 10 years, Gardisil during teenage years, Shingles Vacccine (Zostavax) at age 50 or older.
Men --Yearly physicals, prostate blood check & prostate exam yearly after age 40, Colonoscopy age 50 & then every 10 years, Tetanus/pertussis booster every 10 years, Gardisil during teenage years, Shingles Vacccine (Zostavax) at age 50 or older.
All adults require at least 7-9 hours sleep/night, and children require more. Sleep is a must for energy, alertness, brain health, weight control and more! Sleep is relaxing, rejuvenating, and healing. Lack of sleep is linked with many diseases including Alzheimer's. Work to go to bed at the same time every night for the best sleep. When needed, our natural Melatonin and extra Magnesium 400-600mg can help many get a good restful night sleep.
Relax: Decrease your sources of stress. Find your pause button every day for at least 5 minutes, but 30 will transform your life. Deep relaxation through faith, relationships, meditation, rest/naps, music, journaling, laughter (www.humortop.com), nature, garden, walk your dog, baths, deep breathing, and more – find and do yours!
Plan daily "Mini-Chills" which can neutralize so much stress - a time to disconnect and connect - put your head down or concentrate on or close your eyes to think about, listen to, look at, read, sip, or appreciate something relaxing and enjoyable to you - plan at least a minute every hour and no less than 10 minutes a day
Great Bath for calming and detox: hot water, 2 cups Epsom Salts, ½ cup baking soda, 10 drops lavender oil. Soak for 20 minutes, and consider including candles and music.
Deep belly breathing: Close your eyes, inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Breath deeply into your abdomen & feel it expand to a count of 5, pause for 1 count, and exhale slowly to a count of 5, allowing your body to relax and release tension. Repeat for 5 breaths or until you feel relaxed.
Balance and Boundaries:Strive for balance in your life and keep your priorities in line each day and even moment. Say NO to extra obligations to de-stress and maintain your priorities. Dr. Lisa's are God and husband/children first. Remember that our life is like a boat - if you fill it too full of even good things you will sink!
Faith:Gives you identity, direction, guidance, security, confidence, power, & all the fruit of the spirit for each day - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control (Gal 5:22). This is my prayer for you each day!... Find the true joy in Him and in life! Keep giving & I encourage you all to go on a mission trips if possible.
A strong spiritual life can help you make and keep the changes you want physically. Studies show that believers have immune system boost, less anxiety and substance abuse, exercise more, smoke less, and have lower blood pressure and cholesterol! Volunteer and give back locally and globally - YOU can make a big difference, and focusing on and helping others makes you appreciate your many blessings and fitter mentally!
"...In Christ you are a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" 2Cor.5:17
7 Healthy Brain Tips - (Prevent Alzheimer's!) resources “The Better Brain Book”, “The Healthy Brain Kit”
1. Exercise - 30min aerobic exercise 5x/week decreases risk by 35%, and weight training 2-3x/week cuts your Alzheimer's risk by 50%! Stretch daily to avoid injury and fall 2. Eat a brain-healthy diet & supplements – Eat real, local, whole food as it comes from the earth (unprocessed): fresh veggies, fruits, beans, whole grains, nuts, seeds, herbs, spices, and lean animal protein. Daily supplements of a well absorbed MVI like our Alphabase 4-8/d, Vitamin D 2-5000iu/d, Fish Oil 1-2000mg/d, good probiotic w multiple 15-20 billion organisms like our Orthobiotic or Ultralfora Plus, Vitamin C 1-2000mg/d, Magnesium chelate 400-600mg/d, extra B vitamins like our Vesselcare or Cardio B, and calcium citrate or our Calapatite w mchc 1-2/d (and others which can help are Vitamin E 2-400mg/d, CoQ10 1-200mg/d, Carnitine, Alpha lipoic acid, Gingko, NAC, Phosphatidylserine, Vinpocetine)
3. Build your brain daily! Set aside time each day to learn something new - the greater the challenge then the larger brain building! Play a musical instrument, study foreign language, read, learn dance, practice memorization, solve riddles and puzzles, journal, paint, find a new hobby, travel & explore, use both sides of your brain (logic and language vs artistic and creative), observe daily and practice the 5 W's (who, what, where, when, why), follow the road less traveled and vary your habits frequently to create new brain pathways (take a new route, eat with your other hand, rearrange your living and working spaces, eat or shop in different places, go camping, use your senses differently - take a shower with your eyes closed, eat a family meal in silence, go into your home with your eyes closed...)
4. Sleep to restore your memory! Vital to get at least 8-9 hours/night to rest and rejuvenate your body
5. Learn to relax and manage stress - Schedule daily relaxation activities (take a walk, pray, sit quietly and observe nature, read, pet and/or play with your pet, yoga, Tai-Chi, stretching, guided imagery) and do many daily "Mini-Chills" described above!
6. Protect your brain! -avoid toxins (smoking, regular drinking, drugs, mold, pesticides, pollution), wear a well-fitting helmet and your seatbelt, trip-proof your home and work
7. Live clean & green! Drink clean filtered water (half your body weight in ounces/day) and avoid plastics, Limit exposure to chemicals and metals, Get your fluids moving (1-2 bowel movements/day, sweat w daily exercise & baths)
Become an eMember of Excell for Life to get free entrance to all 3T Power classes at Excell, 5% off Vitamin Discounts, and blog articles that include current wellness topics that impact your life (and our archive to search), recipes, exercise tips, and more!
My Prayers and Hugs and Belief in You!!! Love, Dr. Lisa
Bondye beniw! (God bless you! in Haitian, pronounced as Bonjee benune!)
Jer.17:14 "Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed. Save me and I shall be saved."
My Prayers and Hugs and Belief in You!!! Love, Dr. Lisa
Bondye beniw! (God bless you! in Haitian, pronounced as Bonjee benune!) Jer.17:14 "Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed. Save me and I shall be saved."