Daily Dietary Recommendations for an Optimal Diet
Optimal Alkaline Diet Recommendations:
Dr. Theodore Baroody states: the ideal in dietary health is to eat as much fresh and raw food as possible (and the fresher the better!). The enzymes in fresh and raw food make it digest properly, but enzymes are destroyed by cooking (so it is best to take digestive enzymes when eating cooked).
For an optimal diet, eat 75% fresh and raw foods and 25% cooked foods (begin 60/40 until your body is adapting to eating more fresh food).
- Melons – eat alone or at least 20 minutes before any other food (or it ferments with other foods)
- Fruit & Vegetables – don’t mix fruits & vegetables in the same meal (fruits are digested in 75-90 minutes, while some veggies may take 2 hours)
- Fruits & Starches – fruits do not combine with starches (or will ferment and become acidic)
- Starches & Vegetables – they combine well, BUT avoid more than 2 starchy foods at the same meal
- Starches & Proteins – starches do not combine well with proteins (starch neutralizes HCL so protein digestion is slowed & then acidic), eat only 1 protein at a meal (may not have enough enzymes for both and then becomes very acidic)
- Heavy Proteins (meats) – combines with non-starchy vegetables are slightly acidic-forming unless only 1/10 of your meal is a heavy protein
- Light Proteins - such as cottage cheese & yogurt combine well with fruit, and nuts & tofu (or beans with whole grain form a complete light protein) combine well with non-starchy vegetables, and want only 1/10 of meal a light protein
Reduce and/or eliminate these mucous producing/acid-forming foods:
- Any refined processed, enriched, chemicalized, or preserved sugars, salts, and foods
- Meat (many chemicals, destructive emotions)
- Dairy products
- Wheat (gluten forms a “glue”/clogging in the intestines & body)
- Eggs (except raw or runny yolk)
13 GENERAL EATING RECOMMENDATIONS from Dr. Baroody
- Eat only when hungry.
- Keep your meals simple – 3 or 4 foods are enough.
- Take digestive aids containing betaine HCL 5 minutes before each major meal unless you eat only fresh fruit.
- Don’t cook with hardened vegetable oils.
- Eat foods at room temperature.
- Eat juicy foods prior to concentrated foods.
- Eat raw foods before cooked foods.
- Eat more raw foods in the summer.
- Avoid refined foods & sweeteners.
- Chew food 25-50 times per mouthful, as this makes your food more alkaline.
- Let your food mix with your saliva. DO not wash it down with liquids.
- Eat a meal to fit the type of work you do.
- Do not eat when tired, anxious, angry, overheated, chilled, in pain, emotionally upset, or have a high fever.